Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Christmas



Today not only do I celebrate Christmas and my friend Aurelia's birthday, but I also celebrate 27 months since my diagnosis. Christmas was bittersweet.It was our first christmas without Charles, but he was with us in a very unique way. He arranged for us to have 2 blue spruce saplings to plant in memory of him. It brought many of us to tears.

The kids of course had a great time tearing open packages and squealing with delight at each and every new toy and outfit. Dinner by Julie was magnificent as usual....

I was surprised by a very special gift. Charles' girlfriend was left $10,000 in trust for my funeral and burial. In the next couple weeks I am going to have to face death straight in the face to go with Peter and Diane to make my own funeral arrangements. I am not sure how I am going to do that. I'm quite scared really, but I suppose it needs to be done. I was astounded by his incredibly generous gift.How do you thank someone for something so huge when they are no longer on this earth?

I love you Charles...keep a chair warm for me....

11 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, dear friend. To you you and your wonderful family I send lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Velda...you are an incredible person!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are still here to have another wonderful Christmas. What a nice gift but let's hope you don't need it for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off.... What an awesome Christmas photo!!!

    Second glad you were able to enjoy another Christmas may there be many more!

    As for the gift that was an awesome way for someone to say "I Love You!"

    I would say the best way to repay a gift like that is to live for as long as the Good Lord allows you to be in your family's life and make every moment count.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you and the family Velda--how wonderful that you're on your 3rd one <3. That was a wonderful gift he gave you...he knows how grateful you are <3. I'm glad things have settled down for you healthwise & hope it continues! Many (((Hugs))) and lots of <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas my friend! What a blessing to see your photos and know that you all are celebrating together!

    As for how do you say thank you....you love on his family and keep his memory alive. What a generous, loving gift for you and for your family. Will be praying for you in the coming weeks...especially that the gift is not used for a very, very long time. Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas, Velda! Hugs and prayers, Candace

    ReplyDelete
  8. merry christmas, velda & family! my card to you was returned, but hope you know you were in my thoughts.
    ~~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. V! What a special gift he left to you! Glad your Christmas was good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn it Velda, you made me cry again! Charles did leave you a very generous gift. I know we are in completely different places but Steve and I have preplanned part of our funerals as well. I hope when you do go in to plan, you have as wonderful a person to support you through the process as we did.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete