Thursday, August 12, 2010

Allergy testing




Each time I have an ailment and have to list my allergies, I state: penicillin, amoxcil, NSaids, dilantin, CT Scan dye.

Being referred to an allergist has shortened that list :) Who knew that an allergy you've had for a very long time can change over time? I didn't. After two hour testing, they can find no indication of an allergy to penicillin anymore, which will also include amoxcil. This is really good news, as I may need a much stronger antibiotic someday soon and this would be their primary choice :)

I will be tested for NSaids next, but my reactions to dilantin and CT Scan dye are new so they won't be doing anything about those.

I was told however that if my oncologist wants a CT Scan with dye, my allergist can make up some concoction that I take 13 hours before the scan. This will block whatever it is (can't remember what she said) that causes the allergic reaction. This is a VERY good thing, as the scan *with* dye is much more accurate than one without.

I'm so pleased that I've outgrown these allergies.

6 comments:

  1. I knew that children can "outgrow" allergies and I know that for some allergies, constant low level exposure can desensitize you (just like the allergy "shot" series does) because while I tested seriously allergic to cat dander, I have three cats and have no issues at all (WITH THOSE THREE - I make no promises for other people's cats!) !

    But to outgrow an allergy to penicillin? WOW! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol is right. What a blessing to outgrow your penicillin allergy.

    I love reading good news on her.

    Love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good thing to know. I guess that also goes for those that never had allergies later coming up with allergies in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. I hope the Nsaid testing goes just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful news, Velda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad that you've outgrown your penicillin allergy, the doctors won't give it to me in case i have a reaction now. I also had a rough time with a scan contrast, the MRI one gave me horrid kidney pains the next day and for a few days afterwards. Hope the concoction really works for you to control the reaction so you can have CT scans from now on.

    ReplyDelete