
Yesterday during my chemo, my wonderful nurse, Charity, was having a heck of a time with the IV insertion. She thought she finally got it, taped it all up but then it stopped dripping. So she pulled it slightly and it began dripping just fine, but she had to hold it in that position. Which was fine, we had a lot to catch up on, as she was my radiation nurse back in Sept-Nov 2009 and was recently moved to chemo and we hadn't really talked much. She gets Peter to pull over her chair, I'm her last patient of the day, and we sit and start catching up on our families etc. So as we were catching up, suddenly my vein blew. Now it wasn't as painful as it sounds, but she had to get it out of me fast because the chemo I was having was particularly toxic and it was now flowing down my skin. So off rip the band aids and wraps (that hurt!) and over came the saline and gloves and scrubs and I get cleaned up quick.
Well that was fun :) She decides on the other arm, gets it in perfect and we finish up. I felt so bad for her, because I know she is SO good, I think I just have to remember to pay attention, let them do their work and THEN we can sit and chat :)
So all in all, it was a good day except for the blow up and many many bruises on my arm. The sun will come out tomorrow right? ;)
Yikes, having a vein blow is never fun (but, you're right and it's not as bad as it sounds). The sun will definitely come out tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteLove you tons.
sorry for the rough start but glad you got it finished. hugs!
ReplyDeletegood thing it wasn't me--I'm sure I would have passed out (have no stomach for medical stuff, in spite of having had 2 kids lol ;). Glad it wasn't as bad as it sounds, and glad you had a chance to catch up :). Yes, the sun always does come up tomorrow, even if you can't see it ;). Lots of <3 and (((Hugs)))
ReplyDeleteUGH that must have really sucked V! So glad you had a terrific nurse who reacted quickly. Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteBrenda
Yes, Velda.... the sun WILL come out tomorrow. Sorry you experienced the collapse, but good to know that everything turned out okay. The "plus" is that you got to catch up with what I'm sure is a superb Chemo Nurse! Please send along my kudos to her, one nurse to another!
ReplyDeleteBarb in Syracuse