Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dem bones, dem bones...




Doc appt was great. Everything is set for my second to last chemo tomorrow. It's my big chemo so in a few days I'll likely feel super tired again. The week after that I go for my small chemo and then chemo is finished. Or so I thought. After a full body scan that is planned, they are likely going to put me on maintenance chemo which means I will still need to go to the clinic, just not as often. They are also going to decide if I will be going back to radiation as I'm having some issues with my right hip/back and knowing I have tumors there, they will make a decision based on the CT scan. They are also going to start me on a new medication that is normally used for osteoporosis since I have tumors all over my bones. This won't get rid of the tumors but it will make the bones stronger to help withstand the cancer. So it looks like I won't have the summer off as I had expected, but after much discussion I felt it was a better choice to do preventative/maintenance chemo rather than letting it grow and then fighting it.

4 comments:

  1. may be not so great that you don't get the summer off but very glad that they are keeping one step ahead of the cancer! Take that cancer! Velda you are awesome! Hugs!! Donna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good. I know you were looking forward to the summer off but this is a fight you can't take a break from, obviously. I hope the new meds help!
    ~Kim~

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are totally kicking this cancer's ASS Velda!! I am so happy for you and sorry that you wont be getting the summer off but WOW, it sounds like you have a great plan of action ahead of you for the next few month!! I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maintenance sounds like the best road for now. I'm sure you will find a way to still enjoy the summer. Glad you are staying ahead of the cancer.
    Love ya!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete