Friday, June 24, 2011

How fast things can change


So during my chemo yesterday, I was in touch with my radiologist for the first time since Nov 17, 2009. He said it was so nice to see me again, but you could tell he wanted to say "alive still". I told him I was beating the odds. He then told me I was one of his first patients when he arrived in Kingston and you could tell he was glad that things were going well.

Several things happened yesterday. I went for quite a ride around the hospital yesterday in a wheelchair as I was barely able to walk, with my wonderful chemo nurse Tracy and husband Peter.

1) As stated above I saw Dr. O again and he examined my hip and spine and was pretty sure it's my tumors that are acting up and not the arthritis. He decided he wanted to do a scan that day to confirm. So off I went to be scanned. I ended up getting 4 tiny 'dot' tattoos that I named AJ, Ashlee, Zachary and Zoe just in case I don't get around to getting the actual tattoos I want ;). This is for the mapping of....

2).....the radiation I will be getting on the 5th of July to zap the tumor in my pelvis and the tumors in my lower spine. One treatment should be enuf to shrink them and alleviate the pain.

3)June 29 I will have a full bone scan to see how things stand from my last scan in May. This will be the deciding factor as to whether I will do maintenance chemo or not.

4) I will be getting an injection each month of Pamidronic Acid to enhance my bone strength.

So I guess it's not over till the fat lady sings....

Thank you for all your support, once again...

8 comments:

  1. Wow Velda! I hope the news continues to be hopeful.
    ~Kim~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hon, I hope and pray you continue to beat the odds. I love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are beating the odds but it's your attitude to all this I admire most :)

    I'm praying that the radiation helps alleviate your pain and the full body scan shows your chemo has worked.

    Lots of love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing awesome and I knew you would go far.
    You are a strong and wonderful woman... don't let anyone tell you different.

    Love you and Hope and pray you find relief of some of the pain soon.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you were hoping for the summer "off" but you are responding so well to all the treatment!! I hope the radiation will help with the pain. Sending lots of ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the radiation helps with the pain. Praying that you continue to beat the odds. Hugs & prayers, Candace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't been here in awhile because when my computer is acting up it means that I don't have my bookmarks! Fixing that by emailing this link to myself. :) But know that you are ALWAYS in my prayers and thoughts. I've had the honor of reading the intercessory prayers at church and because of some juggling around of the list..... you're now the first name that God hears each week at St. John's xxoo Stay strong!!!! Hope this gives you relief from the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Velda, I pray for you too every day. I follow your blog. I was in town and almost dropped by but didn't. I did not know your phone number, I mean I had it at home. I am fighting feelings of wanting to stay home but I think of you all the time. Support and love from Sharen, always my brave girl friend.

    ReplyDelete