Friday, March 4, 2011

Chemo Day 1

The day before I had my chemo I received these beautiful flowers from my former bosses and co-workers, Pam's Flowers ROCKS!





I was very nervous going in today, but I held it together. I walked into the very tiny room and was directed to chair #4 but a pleasant smiling nurse. As I looked up, I saw under the #4 a plaque with a dragonfly. Sign #1 that one of my best friends was with me. Denise and I who have known each other since we were 9 had matching dragonfly tattoos done in 2010. I sat down and just before the nurse was about to sit down and explain some things, she said "Oh you have a gift, take care of this first" I had no clue. I opened it up and inside was a beautiful glass turtle from my other best friend who I've known for more than 15 years and a card that, of course, made me cry. Last year Tammy's friend Pam and I gave Tammy the gift of a turtle tattoo (private reason) so she gave this to me to take with me each time to know I'm with her.Sign #2 that my friends are here. Tammy then came to visit me later in the morning during her break. :)





So I began treatment. I was a little freaked as the nurse started looking at the back of my hand. Immediately I took control and said she could not use the back of my hand. I have great veins, but they have tons of valves very close to each other and the length of the IV needle had a very difficult time getting thru and it's incredily painful. So off she went searching for more veins. Little tough that day as I had already made 2 other stops to have 2 other types of bloodwork done, but she managed to get it in and did very well. :) The first procedure was to infuse me with fluids, 2 hours worth. I drank water and juice as well, as suggested, ran with my pole down the hall to the bathroom every 20 minutes trying to beat everyone else running lol. Finally when that was done, she gave me 22 pills to take and then began the GEMCITABINE (Jem-SITE-a-been) brand name Gemzar. This is the one for the lung cancer. It really burned like mad going in so she had to make some adjustments with adding saline solution to make it bearable. She also wrapped my arm in a warm blanket. Everytime I got up to use the ladies room, I would come back and Peter would have new warm blankets for me, he's take my shoes off and wrap me up. He was so supportive, I was glad to have him there.

During this 2 hour treatment, I had the pharmacist come in to talk to me about the new medication that I needed to take (back up to 12 pills a day again blech!) and to be sure there were no interactions wit all the other stuff I take. We were good :) Then the lady came in - her name was Ashley so I liked her right away :) - to discuss homecare. There will be a nurse coming to the house for the next few days to see how things are going and how I manage any side effects. So far nausea last night, but no vomitting. Pills took care of it. I was also given the usual drug card, so in addition to Peter's medical coverage, my drugs are 100% covered. We really weren't worried as most of them were under $2 with his 90% coverage, but it is offered to everyone. The nurses are available 24/7 to come to the home. One of the meds I have in my possession are injections for nausea but they can obviously only be given by a registered nurse and they are my last choice. Did I mention I HATE puking...haven't puked since my stupid drinking days lol.

The last infusion I had took just over an hour, CISPLATIN (SIS-pla-tin). No burning with this one. One of the volunteers came over and handed me a beautiful crocheted (?) blanket to keep me warmer, it was FRRRRREEEZING in that room. She told me to take it home, they like to give a blanket to first timers :)It's just lovely.




Well we were all done, handed an inch of reading to do at home, given a few instructions and off we went -- oh did I mention that the cancer parking was changed to renal parking, you think they would have let us know??!! and Peter got a $25 parking ticket...grrrr, gonna fight that one!

Thank you for all the calls, emails, posts and love. I felt your support all day :)So far, it's 8am and I still feel good. Nurse will be here in an hour and a half :)

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad the first appt went so well--here's hoping more of them are like that :). Lots of ((((hugs)))) and much <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know your first day went to well.

    I'm not 6p-2am this coming week if you want/need me to take you to your next appointment. Just let me know either way.

    Pam is now looking in to crocheting a blanket to donate to the clinic.

    Love you to the moon and back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are feeling okay!! I love the blanket and other gifts. HUGS and I hope the side effects are kept at a minimum (the spelling doesn't look right for this word-lol). Have a really good day today, Velda. As always, you are in my daily prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww thanks for sharing this!! I loved viewing the gifts you received -- you are truly Loved V. Happy to hear that it went well. LOVE YA!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, girl. You are being so freaking brave. I don't know if I could handle things as well as you appear to.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Velda...Hope things keep going positive for you..So..as my English in-laws used to say.."keep your pecker up and I'll knock you up in a day or two" Thinking maybe Tuesday (but I am getting a cold,,so might just leave some goodies on the door step for you)...Love Net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Velda: You are so brave. I pray for you. Sharen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad to hear your first day went well, velda {{hugs}} ~~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW you were really thought of today.

    Reminder to self do not let my daughter see your turtle... she would die for your turtle ... she fell in love with turtles not too long ago and has a desert tortoise.

    You do know what they say about turtles don't you???? It fits you right now..... turtles have to take risks everyday.... they have to take chances with life everyday.... they have to stick their necks out and go on their way.

    Please continue to take your chances and experience all the life, love, joy and challenges life sends your way.

    God will not bring you to all those challenges without bringing you through it.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad that the day went as well as it did. You have been on my mind SO much. I hope that you are able to get some rest and that you don't need that special anti-puking injection. Hang in there sweetie. We love you!

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's a lot to take in for a single day. You and Peter are wonderful for coping so well. Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad your day went well! I know that you are in the heart and minds of many friends throughout this journey, this day and for the road ahead. Love you forever and always..
    Donna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad it went smoothly and I'm sorry it took me so long to get over here. I love you and I'm with you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hang in there, we need to get together this summer!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad the day went well. I hope you are feeling okay now. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    Hugs, Candace

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you have continued good experiences as you get your chemo V. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Kathy Evans

    ReplyDelete