Thursday, March 10, 2011

The chosen one



Yesterday while waiting for my doctor's appointment, I was approached by two women who were interested in asking me to participate in a study regarding my cancer. It's just a survey, don't get too excited, but I was really interested to hear what they had to say. I was hand picked by my doc to participate in a research study survey that will study the prospective patient quality of life of patients with advanced NSCLC (non-small cell lung cancer - mine specifically being adenocarcinoma). The study includes only 720 patients in total in Europe, Turkey, Canada and Australia. I am just one of 20 from my hospital to be asked to participate. The information hopes to help plan new studies and research and to better understand the types of drugs offered or being developed for NSCLC patients. There are only 39 clinics involved. It's being sponsored by Boehringer Ingelheim. Wouldn't it be great if someday in the future I have been part of a miracle to cure or prevent lung cancer, all because I was chosen to do this research? I feel special :)

6 comments:

  1. You're right to feel special, Velda, since you are! What an opportunity ~ glad to hear you're participating. ~~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Velda, that is so cool! I worked in research for a little bit, we tested drugs on people that wouldn't normally be able to pay for them. They knew all the risks, etc. It was the same kinda drugs that the doctor prescribed, but they couldn't afford. It is a really neat thing to do and I am glad you were invited. Hope your appointment goes well. ((Hugs)) Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are special!

    Love you to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Tammy!

    YOU ARE VERY SPECIAL!!!!!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came upon your blog by chance, and I have to say yes, you are indeed a very special (and courageous) lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very very special! This is cool!!!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete