Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Love
Where do I even start?! I KNEW I had awesome friends and family, but I have been so overcome with the extent of love and concern that has been shown my way, that at times I wasn't even sure how to react. I've had more visits in the last few weeks that I've had in the last 5 years. I've seen people, talked to people on the phone and rediscovered people I haven't talked to in years. And all I had to do was get sick, who knew! lol....(my sense of humour, I'm told, is VERY skewed - well moreso than usual-...sorry lol) I've received stunning flowers, yummy chocolate, touching and hilarious cards, long phone calls filled with laugher, short calls filled with no words and lots of tears, visits from friends far away and visits from friends nearby. Meals have been piling in at the perfect rate that Peter has only had to cook one meal in 3 weeks. Meals from friends of friends, people I've never and likely will never meet. Baskets of fruit (YUM!) gorgeous candles, magazines to read, crossword puzzle books to keep my mind sharp. My inbox and messages have been overflowing with 'sorry I'm too sad to visit' (which I TOTALLY Understand :) ) to 'I want to see you now'--links to survivor stories, personal stories of sadness and dispair (and I want them all, good and bad- those who know me best know when it's okay to send the bad stuff) I've met strangers who have offered to knit me purple hats when my hair falls out. I have had offers of rides to and from appointments, offers to take the kids to the park, offers to help make videos and write letters (just in case), I received the most amazing knitted blanket yesterday from a neighbour. Her mother knits for the cancer ward, apparently I will get cold during treatment (YAY!!!! again, those who know me best will laugh at my delight in this lol) and when she told her mom about me, right away her mom wanted me to have one, directly from her :) :) :) I have received jewelry. Kim doesn't know this, but just before her 'bracelet' idea, I unknowingly began accumulating bracelets. Silver ones. On my left wrist are 5 bracelets. My medic alert, my pink cancer bracelet from my sister Barb, my birthday gift Heart bracelet from Julie, my "Friends are a lifelong treasure" bracelet from Denise and my "Cross Stitch Crazy" bracelet begun from my friend Tanya and that has been added to by my cross stitch crazy friends with little silver charms - a cross stitch, 2 angels, cross stitch scissors from the Divine M, and a small hand holding a love heart that was sent to me for my contribution to Comfort Doll Project I participated in a few years back. I was given a gift of money from Lisa M who told me to 'blow it on myself', with which I purchased a gorgeous amethyst and sterling ring. I figure when I'm in therapy and my friends can't visit, I need something to 'fiddle' with, and the jewelry will be the perfect things to look at, fiddle with and keep my anxious and restless hands busy, in turn reminding me of just how much strength is standing behind, in front of and beside me, as I go thru my battle. Not to mention that the jingling of the bracelets is such a beautiful sound and reminds me constantly of my friends. And of course my gorgeous heart necklace from Kim that is put back around my neck each and every morning, regardless of whether the purple matches my clothing or not lol. Hopefully there is at least one person who understands what the heck I am talking about lol I'm not a material girl, but in this instance the material things are constant reminders of the love and support and right now, that's exactly what I need. And forgive me if I've forgotten anything or anyone...my memory isn't as it used to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You know, Velda, I understand what you are saying. People go through their lives without truly realizing the impact they have on those around them. You, on the other hand, now know how your friends feel about you. I guess the lesson is for the rest of us. Don't let one day pass without letting people know how they have impacted your life. Say your "Thank you's" and your "I love you's" often and with your heart. You won't regret it.
ReplyDeleteI am so very glad you are coming to realize just how much we love you!
ReplyDeleteYou are getting a small sampling of the love you've given over the years to each and every one of us.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
I definitely understand what you are talking about.
ReplyDeleteWe love you Velda!
You have always and consistently been there for EVERYONE in EVERY situation over the last ten years I've known you. I can't think of a time or situation when you weren't there, giving hugs, time, or just an understanding ear...giving, giving, giving. By God we're going to be here for you now, in your time of need. Love ya.
ReplyDeleteI understand what you are saying. Those items (the necklace and bracelets) are no longer just jewelry, they are a tangible symbol of the love and support of your family and friends. A way of having and feeling their love for you all the time, as well as an excellent way to remind yourself of how loved you are when you are depressed, scared, lonely or bored. You are surrounding yourself with the love and support that all your family and friends have for you.
ReplyDeleteIts not silly at all, it is beautiful!
HUGS
Missy