10 days after my 44th birthday, on Friday September 25th, 2009, while sitting at the computer, a small dime patch of my chin went numb, followed by a small spot on my tongue. It came and went in about 30 seconds. I've had this many times, mostly in my face and tongue and never really thought anything of it, because it came and went so quickly. Later that day, just after lunch, the same thing happened, only it was a slightly larger spot on my chin and half of my tongue. It wasn't going away. When my husband came home around 1pm, I told him what was happening, laughing, poking my nose piercing saying I couldn't feel anything. The numbing climbed higher. Up my nose. Thicker tongue. I thought something wasn't quite right, remembering my father and his stroke a few years back having to do with numbness, I figured we better get checked. As we drove to the hospital, my fingers started to go numb, one at a time.
We got to the hospital, I sat down, husband parked the car. He came in. The first nurse was busy with two patients that were standing and she could not see me grasping my chest. I told husband to get the other nurse. We walked to the back. I suddenly lost all my speech and was sure I was having a stroke. All I could do was say dad, stroke, and cry.
She asked me to climb the gurney, my body jerked and I went into seizure.
That's the last I remember from early Friday evening until late Sunday night. I don't recall anything between those hours.
I woke up with massive bruising on my arms and legs from being controlled by wrapped and tied towels on the gurney.
This is where my very scary and unknown journey will begin.
Thank you for letting us share this journey with you, Velda. I hope you can feel us beside you.
ReplyDeleteVelda please don't feel scared. You have lots of us wonderful friends right here to help in supporting you through this tough time. Take deep breaths and enjoy your loving family to the fullest....can't wait to see though.
ReplyDeleteOh Velda....I wish we were there to hold your hand through all of this. I cannot even imagine the emotions you are feeling -- just know that *a lot* of people are praying for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteWe're all here with you, Velda.
ReplyDeleteHugs and Prayers-
Sweet Velda, thank you for starting this blog. We all worry about you so much and care for you too. As you can see, you have a lot of followers already. You are not in this alone.. we are all here for you. I will be starting up a Facebook page to help you and your family. I will send details and I know you are not the type to ask for help, but this time Velda.. we want to help and will help. Much love to you my dear.
ReplyDeleteLove Sam
Sista'!! I love you. I am amazed by your strength and stand beside all of the other visitors here in prayer for your health!
ReplyDeleteMWAH!!!
Velda , As you can see you have so many people in the world that love you so very much and we are all here for you and your family. and please know that i am praying for you sweetheart
ReplyDeleteYou poor thing. We love you. I wish I could be there to give you a hug. Hang in there we will be here. We are all in this together.
ReplyDeletecan't wait to hear the results Aunt V. I'm excited to hear what you have planned for your hair. In 2007 Mom shaved her head for cancer..she might do it again this year too.. Let me know what your planning on doing, I would go this year and cut my hair short (bye bye beautiful blonde locks) :) Reallyyy short, with whatever donations made in your name. Hugs and Kisses.
ReplyDeleteOk Velda, I have to ask the question that everyone wants to ask...... What stage of cancer do you have??
ReplyDelete