Wednesday, October 14, 2009

*Thud*

Prognosis: 4-12 months left

Treatment: Radiation starts October 15th (that would be tomorrow)

Surprise: many more spots on my lungs, 5 tumours in my brain, not 3, and I've likely had cancer for at least a year.

Good News: My body is responding exceptionally well to the steroids, therefore that usually means my body will respond exceptionally well to the radiation, so hopefully my prognosis will be at the latter end of the scale. Remember this is treatment, not a cure.

Bad News: My hair may fall out, my scalp may burn and I may puke alot.

And I leave you with this quote from my friend Heather....

“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO, what a ride!”

27 comments:

  1. Thud indeed. Love you sweetie. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow as always <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geeze.... what a thud that is.
    You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    We Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Thud" felt around the world. I'm at a loss as to what to say. Millions of words are running through my head and yet none of them seem appropriate right now. Worn out phrases and second hand gazes......(Mommas and Papas)

    I'm sorry Velda. I'm going to miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go get that tattoo. I say throw in a few piercings, too- just for good luck! And color your hair purple! (c;

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you'll make every minute count. **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  6. ((((((HUGS)))))) being sent to you sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) and love being sent your way. I am at a loss and Kim is right it is the "thud" being heard around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs Velda. I am sorry. Let me know how I can help you. We talked about a few things and perhaps we can talk further about those. I love you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Velda I sit here thinking about the last 6 yrs of my sis inlaw treatment after treatment, and just totally amazes me how one can cope through this but it can be done especially with all the supposrt your getting. I also think just early this yr you reached out to talk to me on facebook.....remember that? You said hi Lee it's Velda from high school. Such a small world hey and then we meet at the reunion. Sorry I haven't been by to hug you.....but still hope too soon.
    Lee Kendell

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont even know what to say to this other than I love you and I will be there with you in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Velda, that is one heck of a thud. Get pouring those margaritas, you have a quota to get through!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes that is a THUD. Much love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with the *thud*...that was about the sound my heart and jaw made when it hit the floor just now....

    Honey, I am so sorry that this is happening to you. Let me know if there is anything I can do. I love you girlie!! Be strong, as I know you will!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know me and my knack for swearing, so whatever words come to mind in the line of curse words, you insert them. When you're done insert a few more because nothing I can think or feel comes anywhere to depth of my sadness or heartache that you, of all people would have to suffer this disgusting disease.

    There is nothing I wouldn't do for you - nothing. While you fight this battle I am going to be right by your side, probably to the point that I smother you - sorry about that!

    Love you to moon and more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry the prognosis is so short...it reminds me of my grandmother, and how when they discovered her lung cancer they told her 6 months was it...and that's exactly how long she was with us. BUT......then it also reminds me of my grandfather, and when his oncologist told him chemo was the only thing keeping him alive. He stopped the chemo anyway, and he lived 5 years after that. The big difference....gran gave up, and grandpa fought it hard. He wasn't about to let some stupid disease decide when it was his time....and I know you're going to give it one hell of a fight too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep that is a MAJOR thud and prognosis times can be off based on mindset etc. We know you will be fighting all the way as possible and we will be there with you!

    Love ya hon!!!!
    (((((((((hugs)))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  17. V... Thud is right! Keeping fighting the fight like I know you will.. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes again - I can't believe this is happening :(

    I haven't been the best at keeping in touch, but want you to know you are in my thoughts very often. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is one ugly THUD! Looking forward to seeing just how wrong the medical profession can be and just how fully you can live, regardless of what anyone else says. Remember, they do not know but I know the One who does. Praying for you with heartfelt prayer. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know what to say. I'm sorry, I love you , my heart hurts. I will keep you in my heart and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How I hate that THUD,
    I'm praying harder then ever,
    enjoy everything to the fullest,
    you know what they say,
    laugh a lot,
    Love a lot,
    cry a lot,
    do a LOT of everything even puke, as long as you do it !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gawd. I go the THUD today regarding my dad...now this. But yes...that quote I think is from Erma Bombeck, who passed from cancer, I've always enjoyed it. We all need to take it to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry, I love you and remember that I'm still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete