"How are you coping?" -- I am good today. I have discovered that sometimes my coping skills can be rated on the day, other times on the second. I am convinced that living the life of an army brat will aid me tremendously in my coping skills thru this. I am easily adaptable, I go with the flow, I follow rules. I think that my life changing every 4 years all life long will have been a really good teaching tool for this journey. Today is a good day. I think because I don't have exact details yet, really other than knowing I have lung and brain cancer, I don't have much to go on. I can tell you I have NOT self diagnosed thru google, I know I know , you're all shocked. I have a mild headache consistently which I guess is normal and okay. I have a very bizarre sense of humour that most people aren't getting. Perhaps I'm masking some pain or scare that is hidden deep down, but right now I feel totally okay. I figure that I should probably be happy and fill up my happiness engine for those days that I am completely empty, drained and want to die (that would be part of my bizarre humour). Then I can dig into that happy place and pull up something to get me thru. I am an extremely overemotional person in every way and I am sure I will go from one end of the gammit to the other. But today is a good day, I'm smiling. My breathe is laboured and I tire VERY easily, not doing ANYTHING (cleaning, wash, cooking, it's VERY strange lol) so I'm a little bit bored, but I'll figure out things to do.
How is everyone coping? I don't know you'll have to ask them. In my head, I think Ashlee is fine. She is a VERY strong girl, we talk ALOT and I can usually tell when she is not doing well, She's not one to hide things from me. I thank GOD she has Devin, he is an amazing rock for her. I think Zachary is a complete mess. I think AJ is very very deeply saddened but he is 100% like me in the emotion factory and I know just to step back and give him space and hugs when he needs them. Zoe...I think she is okay, she's not feeling well today, has diahrrea, but she is happy to have mom home. Zachary and Zoe were told that mommy is sick. But they look at me and don't SEE sick, so they are a little confused. I told them mommy was sick inside her lungs and brain. Zoe is sad my hair is going to fall out.
Peter, you'll have to ask him, I would never speak for him. Venessa, I'm sure he'd talk to you thru email :)
--------------------------------
What is the brain steroid for?
The brain steroid acts as an anti inflamatory. It is used to reduce the swelling of my 3 brain tumours.
----------------------------------
When will you know more from biopsy?
I should know more on Tuesday or Wednesday. Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving. Think we have something to be thankful for? ;)
-----------------------------------
Hi V--It's good to hear you're doing well today :). I don't know if Dave was on a brain steroid specifically for his AVM, but I would assume so, and it really helped. I'm enjoying reading your blog, and I totally get your sense of humor ;). Much love and ((Hugs))
ReplyDeletewow, that's about all i can say, velda ~ you're attitude is amazing and so inspiring. {{hugs}}
ReplyDeleteThanks for the answers I want to know as much as possible so I am well informed. I will send Peter an e-mail soon, thanks for letting me know.
ReplyDeleteYou have lots to be thankful for! Family, friends, your life, your mariage, your doctors, and your ability to laugh! All of which will make a Thanksgiving Toast "may 2010 be better than 2009" a lot more real.
ReplyDeleteControling the swelling is vital, our experience shows that the swelling can cause more damage than the tumor itself. I'm glad you are on the steroid.
Has anything been said about surgery, exactly what types of cancers these are, when will you start chemo etc?
About explaining to the kids how you are sick. Aaryn was 6 when Chase was diagnosed. A child-life expert helped us discribe it as a bad spot on an apple, it had to be removed and then there would just be good spots. Maybe that'll help. It's hard to believe that Zoe is 6 now.
Your attitude is amazing...I'm not sure I'd be coping as well if I were in your shoes. I know you'll have good days/times and bad ones, but so far I'm amazed at how you're coping. You're one special lady...Stay strong...I agree w/Tawnya...You're so fortunate to have such a wonderful family and many good friends to support you through this.
ReplyDeleteHugs all around!
ReplyDeleteVelda, thanks for the continued updates. I hate to bombard you with emails asking for updates so I'm thankful you have an outlet to share with all of us.
ReplyDeleteYou have an amazing family -- they will get through this because of your strength and outlook on everything.
Continued positive energy, thoughts and prayers and of course ((((HUGS))))
Much love and hugs. I have been wondering how severe it is and what course of treatment will happen?
ReplyDeleteI think about you everyday! You are such a positive person & I know you can set your mind to anything you want and accomplish it!
ReplyDeleteV, you are in my prayers every day.
ReplyDeleteVelda, I have posted on
ReplyDeletewww.menomadness.yuku.com (The black hole)
about you and asked for prayers and positive thoughts, would you mind if I posted some of your comments on there as well ?
glad you're at home.
Velda, I still have so many questions. Did you have any clue? Have you been sick? You are such an amazing person. Just know that you and your family are in so many prayers. It is just not fair that you have to go through this BS. Love ya.
ReplyDeleteI can imagine that the younger two would be kinda confused ... hearing your sick but not understanding because they do not see indication that you are ill.
ReplyDeletePraying for you all my dear!
Thank you for allowing me to follow your adventure that you are on.... Praying for a good outcome.